locations & hours events about contact colloquium blog
- Handbook Index
- Academic and Professional Writing
- Analysis Papers
- Reading Poetry
- A Short Guide to Close Reading for Literary Analysis
- Using Literary Quotations
- Play Reviews
- Writing a Rhetorical Précis to Analyze Nonfiction Texts
- Grant Proposals
- Planning and Writing a Grant Proposal: The Basics
- Additional Resources for Grants and Proposal Writing
- Job Materials and Application Essays
- Application Essays (and Personal Statements)
- Resume Writing Tips
- CV Writing Tips
- Cover Letters
- Business Letters
- Proposals and Dissertations
- Resources for Proposal Writers
- Resources for Dissertators
- Research Papers
- Planning and Writing Research Papers
- Quoting and Paraphrasing
- Writing Annotated Bibliographies
- Creating Poster Presentations
- Reading for a Review
- Critical Reviews
- Writing a Review of Literature
- Scientific Reports
- Scientific Report Format
- Sample Lab Assignment
- Writing for the Web
- Writing an Effective Blog Post
- Writing Process and Structure
- Improving Your Writing Style
- Grammar and Punctuation
- Cite References in Your Paper
- Writing Center Home
Writing a Research Paper
This page lists some of the stages involved in writing a library-based research paper.
Although this list suggests that there is a simple, linear process to writing such a paper, the actual process of writing a research paper is often a messy and recursive one, so please use this outline as a flexible guide.
- Discovering, Narrowing, and Focusing a Researchable Topic
- Finding, Selecting, and Reading Sources
- Grouping, Sequencing, and Documenting Information
- Writing an Outline and a Prospectus for Yourself
- Writing the Introduction
- Writing the Body
- Writing the Conclusion
- Revising the Final Draft
Discovering, Narrowing, and Focusing a Researchable Topic
- Try to find a topic that truly interests you
- Try writing your way to a topic
- Talk with your course instructor and classmates about your topic
- Pose your topic as a question to be answered or a problem to be solved
Finding, Selecting, and Reading Sources
You will need to look at the following types of sources:
- library catalog, periodical indexes, bibliographies, suggestions from your instructor
- primary vs. secondary sources
- journals, books, other documents
Grouping, Sequencing, and Documenting Information
The following systems will help keep you organized:
- a system for noting sources on bibliography cards
- a system for organizing material according to its relative importance
- a system for taking notes
Writing an Outline and a Prospectus for Yourself
Consider the following questions:
- What is the topic?
- Why is it significant?
- What background material is relevant?
- What is my thesis or purpose statement?
- What organizational plan will best support my purpose?
Writing the Introduction
In the introduction you will need to do the following things:
- present relevant background or contextual material
- define terms or concepts when necessary
- explain the focus of the paper and your specific purpose
- reveal your plan of organization
Writing the Body
- Use your outline and prospectus as flexible guides
- Build your essay around points you want to make (i.e., don’t let your sources organize your paper)
- Integrate your sources into your discussion
- Summarize, analyze, explain, and evaluate published work rather than merely reporting it
- Move up and down the "ladder of abstraction" from generalization to varying levels of detail back to generalization
Writing the Conclusion
- If the argument or point of your paper is complex, you may need to summarize the argument for your reader.
- If prior to your conclusion you have not yet explained the significance of your findings or if you are proceeding inductively, use the end of your paper to add your points up, to explain their significance.
- Move from a detailed to a general level of consideration that returns the topic to the context provided by the introduction.
- Perhaps suggest what about this topic needs further research.
Revising the Final Draft
- Check overall organization: logical flow of introduction, coherence and depth of discussion in body, effectiveness of conclusion.
- Paragraph level concerns: topic sentences, sequence of ideas within paragraphs, use of details to support generalizations, summary sentences where necessary, use of transitions within and between paragraphs.
- Sentence level concerns: sentence structure, word choices, punctuation, spelling.
- Documentation : consistent use of one system, citation of all material not considered common knowledge, appropriate use of endnotes or footnotes, accuracy of list of works cited.
Monday, March 5, 2018
Feedback, questions, or accessibility issues
©2018 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
From essays to dissertations, we have experts for all of your assignments!
- 1.provide your instructions
- 2.choose an expert in your field
- 3.track the order progress
best us & uk writers
We work hard to find the best academic and business writers for your assignments.
Hesitating to place your first order? First-order discounts are always available.
Each and every paper you order is written from scratch – no exceptions!
24/7 customer support
We work round-the-clock to provide help and support whenever you need it.
Our clients are always happy with our work. See for yourself.
The writing team at Termpapereasy is excellent. They did an outstanding job on my dissertation and if you ask me, they are truly professional.
I’ve used TermpaperEasy.com more than once and I have never had
a problem. The papers are always submitted on time.
Two thumbs up! That’s all I can really say.
Another A paper. You never disappoint. Thank you for your hard work!
Hey, Write My Paper for Me Please
Many academic students wonder to themselves who they can find to help write my research paper. The answer may include considering working with a professional writing company such as TermPaperEasy.com. Such writing companies understand when students feel as if they have other things they want to do instead of writing their research paper. This option is legal, private and your information remains confidential when you work with an established provider who knows the importance of following ethical business standards.
Professional Custom Writing Companies to the Rescue
Can you really write my term paper? Many students who ponder the idea of working with a professional writing company wonder if the company in question can really give them the paper they need. In this case, a professional writer could be the help you have been dreaming about, literally. When you don’t feel like writing, having problems understanding guidelines, or you have no idea on how to get started, you can work with an expert writer that cares. It can be great to say you have a paper writer in reach to get you thorough stressful assignments.
Such companies that offer professional writers have students that come back when they find a writer they were pleased with. In other words, when you have a writer you can contact for future needs you would then start saying I can contact my paper writer when assignment help is necessary. Writing a paper for many is a drag or something they know they can’t do well. It can be a frustrating experience trying to do an assignment you know you are bound to fail in if you don’t get help fast.
What happens when I pay someone to write my paper for me?
This question may have crossed your mind before. Perhaps you struggle with writing or simply don’t have the time to dedicate to lengthy papers. You probably considered paying one of your friends or classmates to do the work for you. But there is a better solution: using our paper writing company. Here we provide you with a custom paper that is 100% unique and fits your needs. We have a team of writers that focuses their time solely on making sure students like you turn in high-quality assignments on time. So, don’t stress over the question “who will write my term paper.” Our experts are waiting to provide you with top online assistance.
Will you do my paper for me?
If you’re asking us, our answer is yes! We live up to our promises and have a high customer satisfaction rate. We can tackle any subject matter from any course and any length of assignment. On top of that, we offer unlimited customer support and a wide array of services. Now that’s something you can’t pay your classmates to give you! Soon, all your friends will be asking you “who will write my paper for me” too. You’ll answer, “the same folks who’ve been writing my papers.” Your purchase will be cheap but will not lack in quality. Visiting us online is your first step to a stellar assignment. So, don’t second guess yourself. Our writing service is the next best thing in assignment assistance in the world.
Services that Benefit Your Academic Needs
Can you write my papers the way I need them to be written? For professional writing companies such as TermPaperEasy.com it is how they create custom papers. Meaning, they use information you provide to help you write an original paper from scratch. Various writing companies of this nature understand how difficult it can be to know exactly what to include in your paper. Writing a paper may not come as natural to some as others and you can make things easier for yourself when you know who to work with.
When you find yourself wondering who can help me write my papers it helps to review you options carefully. You want to work with a writing service that has a genuine interest in your academics. They should have experience producing custom papers for your subject matter and academic level. You should be able to get sample papers or review their style of writing to get an idea of whether they would be a good match.
TermPaperEasy.com Can Help You Write Your Papers
Our team includes native English speaking writing professionals who produce academic papers from scratch. We offer 24/7 customer service support and to ensure customer satisfaction, free revisions are available. You can choose the writer you want to work with and communicate with them thorough the writing process.